It’s update time!!! I know it’s not as exciting as mail time *insert Blue’s Clues song* but I do have some very exciting news to share. I have lost SEVEN pounds! Yes you read that right, a whole seven pounds since I started the Ketogenic diet almost two weeks ago.
How did I do it you ask? Simple I reduced the number of calories I consume a day, by eating lots of (healthy) fats, moderate amounts of protein and low amounts of carbs and sugar. Read my first blog post, What the Keto? to learn more.
These two weeks have taught me some really important things about making a lifestyle change, keep reading to see what those are.
Change is good but not always easy. Making a huge change in your life is hard, it’s overwhelming and scary. It is important to surround yourself with people in your life who support you. People you can lean on and also the understanding within yourself that you can do it.
- You will slip up and that’s okay. Like I said, change is hard. I don’t think you need to punish yourself for enjoying your life. I was on a Bachelorette party this past weekend and yes I did slip up a few times. I had a beer on the beach, some Mimosa’s at brunch and even some chicken nuggets but it’s okay. Even though I had those things I still said no to a lot of other things like cookies, bread on a hamburger patty and even croissants. I take those as small victories, I was proud of myself for saying no because life is hard and sometimes you just want to enjoy your chicken nuggets.
- People will try and bring you down. You need to remember why you started this in the first place. For yourself, to get healthy and to feel better. When someone tries to shame you into feeling bad about having that mimosa at brunch or even doesn’t understand why you are doing what you are doing. You need to remind yourself that you and only you can make the rules to your life. If someone has a different outlook on life, let them live their life and you live your own. Your health is up to you, not someone else, and you don’t need anyone else’s approval.
- Butter and Coconut oil in coffee is actually really good. Sounds weird, but its actually really tasty and once you get use to having coffee without all the added sugar and processed creamer you start to really enjoy the taste of coffee itself. I make my coffee then add a 1/2 tablespoon of Kerry Gold butter, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1/4 teaspoon of all-natural vanilla extract and then shake it up in a mason jar to get a frothy texture.
- Food is sweeter. By always eating so much processed foods and added sugar, other foods taste bitter just because they are not as sweet and all that bad stuff. Since cutting out a lot of added sugar and processed foods; things like vegetables have become so much sweeter. I now eat my salads with just some lemon juice and Olive oil instead of coating with super sweet dressings because the lettuce doesn’t have that extra bitterness to it.
- Sleep and exercise are important. I don’t enjoy working out, but it is so important. If you can’t make it to the gym , just take the stairs instead of the elevator and walk more. It is as simple as that. Although with this diet you can lose weight without exercise, it is still important to get exercise for your overall health. Sleep also helps your body to be able to be alert and perform all your daily tasks. Go to bed just 10 minutes earlier each night and get some more of those zzz’s. You will thank yourself the next day.
Although I still have a long road ahead to get to my goal weight, I am so excited to see this progress. I can’t thank everyone enough for all the encouragement. As always keep following along to see more.